We’ve got lots of travel coming up in November and December, and I could not be more excited! We are headed to Orlando, Boston, Austin, and back to Dahlonega, Georgia, for Christmas, in a span of about 5 weeks. All of those different climates are going to require some careful packing too! Whenever I travel, I like to lay out each outfit (plus 2-3 backups) ahead of time, including shoes and jewelry.
Did you know that, according to a survey conducted by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, 80% of women bring their jewelry while traveling? I am definitely one of them. Although I certainly don’t need to bring every piece I own, I do need some key pieces for each outfit. I just don’t feel like I’m “ready” without my jewelry! I also learned at 20% of women lose a piece of jewelry while on vacation — yikes!
We got engaged at Disney World back in December 2013, and I remember that the next day I was clenching my fists on every single ride. I was so scared that I was going to lose my brand new ring as soon as coaster went upside down! One of the first things I did once I got home was get my ring insured with Jewelers Mutual. They have been exclusively insuring jewelry for more than 100 years, and they offer repair or replacement coverage that includes worldwide travel protection for all types of jewelry and watches. It includes loss, theft, damage, and even mysterious disappearance (unexplained loss). You just never know what could happen, like your ring flying off in the middle of a roller coaster!
If you like to travel with your jewelry too, here are a few tips:
- Don’t take everything you own! Select a few key pieces that go with the outfits you’ve picked. This makes it easier to pack them without getting them tangled or lost. I like to take one simple gold and one simple silver piece, plus a statement piece (like my “ocean” pendant that was a gift from my brothers-in-law!)
- Take a photo of the pieces you’re taking before you go. This is easy to do while you’re packing — just snap a quick pick with your phone before you put everything in your bag. If something happens, it will be easier to make a replacement claim and to know exactly what went missing.
- Keep jewelry in your hotel safe if you’re not wearing it. Leaving it laying out in your room is definitely not safe!
- Insure your jewelry before you leave! Does your renters or homeowners insurance cover jewelry? You need to know this before heading out the door. Mine actually doesn’t cover my engagement ring! With Jewelers Mutual, you get an extra level of protection that often goes beyond what may be covered by typical homeowners or renters insurance.
- When going through the airport or areas that don’t feel as safe, tuck necklaces into your shirt and turn your diamond around so that your ring looks like a simple band. Don’t stand out as a target.
- Pack jewelry in your carry-on bag or wear it while you’re at the airport. Many hands may touch your checked baggage, and if your checked bag is lost, you certainly don’t want your jewelry to be lost with it!
- I think jewelry is one of the best souvenirs on a trip, and when we went to Bora Bora on our honeymoon, I knew I wanted to get a Tahitian Black Pearl necklace. If you buy jewelry during your trip, don’t forget to add it to your Jewelers Mutual policy!
No matter which pieces you decide to bring (or buy!) on your trip, insuring your jewelry with Jewelers Mutual gives you piece of mind. No matter how careful we are with our jewelry when traveling, accidents happen, and I don’t have to stress over the “what ifs” when I know my valuable jewelry is covered.
Wishing you safe and fun travels this holiday season!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.