One of my all-time favorite drinks is a Moscow Mule, so when we received two copper mugs for Christmas, I made some the same day! The Moscow Mule is built around ginger beer, which is kind of like ginger ale, but with a stronger ginger taste and with alcohol, obviously. You might have to go to a liquor store to find it, but mine had several varieties to choose from.
I’m planning to incorporate the Mules into our New Year’s Eve drinks menu this year, but with a twist. Since 2014 was the year we moved from Atlanta to Cape Coral, I wanted to do two “local” varieties: an Atlanta Mule and a Florida Mule.
For each Mule, I started with about a half a glass of crushed ice. You want your Mule to be super cold, and my favorite Moscow Mule spot in Atlanta always used crushed ice. I do think the copper mug is important — it’s what keeps your drink cold and gives it a sharper taste. There’s just nothing like it. Although they’re a little expensive, they are worth the investment. You can find copper mugs just about anywhere, but Amazon has some Copper Barrel Mugs for about $19 each with free shipping.
For my first local Mule, I wanted to incorporate a little bit of my favorite city and my home for the past 11 years. Nothing is more “Atlanta” than Coca Cola, so the Atlanta Mule features cherry vodka, grenadine, ginger beer, and a splash of Coke. I threw in some maraschino cherries for fun.
- 1 oz Smirnoff Cherry Vodka (or similar)
- 1/2 oz Rose's Cherry Grenadine
- 1 bottle of Ginger Beer
- Splash of Coca Cola
- Maraschino cherries to garnish (if desired)
- Starting with a copper mug, add crushed ice about halfway. Add 1oz cherry vodka. (Remember the ginger beer has alcohol too, so even though an ounce may not seem like enough, just trust me on this one.) Add 1/2 oz grenadine and ginger beer until almost full. Stir gently and add a splash of Coca Cola. Garnish with cherries if desired.
- No, you may not use Pepsi. Atlanta is Coca Cola country, y'all!
- 1 oz Smirnoff Orange Vodka (or similar)
- 1/2 oz Rose's Lime Syrup
- 1 bottle of ginger beer
- Fill a copper mug half full with crushed ice. Add 1oz orange vodka. (Since the ginger beer also has alcohol, don't go crazy with the vodka! This one can sneak up on ya like a sunburn.) Add 1/2 oz Rose's Lime Syrup and fill to top with ginger beer. Stir gently and add an umbrella!
- This drink will have just a hint of orange flavor. If you'd like a little more, try adding some grated orange zest at the end.
Where are you from? Any ideas for a local Mule for your hometown?