I have visited many a Florida beach town in my 33 years, mainly Siesta Key growing up, then Daytona and Key West in college, and most recently Destin, West Palm, St. Pete, Sanibel, and Fort Myers Beach. There are so many similarities between them, that it seems like visting any one of these beach towns brings back great memories of vacations past.
How do you know you’re in a Florida beach town? Well, I’ve created a list for you of the common things you’ll find. Really, it’s a checklist, because these are things you simply have to do if you’re visiting a beach town.
The Florida Beach Town Checklist:
1. Buy a kitschy souvenir, preferably one made entirely out of shells.
2. Eat breakfast / brunch at a restaurant named after the owner. Bonus if it has mis-matched coffee mugs.
3. Eat your weight in crab legs.
4. Bury someone (or your own feet) in the sand.
5. Every time you pass a tattoo & body piercings shop, suggest to your parents / significant other that you stop.
6. Find a shell with a creature inside. (Note: Don’t take it with you!)
7. Get ice cream from an ice cream shack near the beach multiple times a day.
8. Pay way too much money in a beach store for fancy flip flops.
9. Play themed mini-golf and take photos with the scenery at each hole.
10. Try the clam chowder at every restaurant that has it, just to compare.
11. Take photos of your ocean backdrop and post them on Facebook to make everyone jealous.
12. Order whichever drink comes with a souvenir glass and an umbrella.
13. Take a walk next to all the beach houses and choose the one you would buy if you had a spare million.
14. Go crazy when you spot a dolphin in the waves.
15. Start laying out the details for your next trip during this trip!
Have any to add? What are your favorite Florida beach towns? Where should I check out next???